History of Hague, New York & The Adirondacks
Welcome to the Hague & Adirondack Region.
HAGUE, originally named Rochester, and taken from Bolton in 1807; from Caldwell NE. 30 miles.
"Rogers Rock is on the west side of
Lake George, in the northeastern border of the town, 2 miles from the outlet. It
rises out of the water at an angle of more than forty-five degrees to the height
of 3 or 400 feet. The face of the rock for more than 100 feet is a perfectly
smooth slide, reaching from top to bottom. This rock derives its name from the
following incident. During the winter of 1758, Major Rogers was one of a party
which was surprised and put to flight by the Indians at the outlet of the lake.
Rogers came alone to the summit of this rock, whither he knew the Indians would
follow him by his tracks in the snow, and where he could prevent pursuit by a
singular stratagem. Throwing his pack down the precipice, he slipped off his
snow shoes, and without changing their position, turned himself about and again
put them on his feet. Thus equipped, he retreated several rods along the
southern brow of the rock. The Indians coming to the spot went no further, as
they saw the two tracks both leading the same way and apparently made by two
persons who had come to the precipice, and chosen to throw themselves off rather
than fall into the hands of their pursuers. Meanwhile Rogers made good his
descent to the foot of the rock, where he resumed his pack, and escaped on the
ice to the head of the lake.
- Home -