THE Town of Schroon was
formed from Crown Point on March 20th, 1804. The town of Minerva
was taken off on the 7th of March, 1817, and a part re-annexed
to Crown Point February 26th, 1840. It lies near the center of
the south border of the county and is bounded north by the town
of North Hudson; east by Crown Point and Ticonderoga; south by
Warren county and the town of Minerva, and west by Minerva.
The surface of the town is
exceedingly diversified and picturesque. In the southeast part
it is mountainous, portions of the Kayaderosseras range
extending into that section, and the west and northwest portions
are occupied by the Schroon range. Between these elevated
regions and extending across the town nearly in its center is a
beautiful and fertile valley, through which flows the waters of
the Schroon River, which, near the center of the town, broadens
out into the lovely Schroon lake, which reaches across the
southern line of the town.
Of the mountain peaks in
the town, Mount Pharaoh is the highest; it is located in the
southeast part and is about 3,000 feet above tide. There are
many other lesser peaks which have only local names or none at
all. The principal stream is the Schroon River, which forms a
portion of the upper waters of the noble Hudson. There are
numerous creeks of clear water that rise in the elevated part of
the town and flow into the many picturesque lakes and ponds
which are scattered throughout the town. The largest of these
are Paradox Lake, in the northeastern part, the waters of which
empty into the Schroon; Pharaoh lake in the southeast part at
the foot of Mount Pharaoh, the waters flowing by way of a small
brook into Schroon lake; Crane pond, Crab pond, Goose pond,
Spectacle pond, Pyramid lake, Thurman pond, Rogers pond, and
others of minor importance. These natural features render the
locality a favorite resort of sportsmen, and within a few years
past the beauties of Schroon lake and vicinity have led to the
erection of many first-class hotels, where pleasure-seekers and
others in quest of recuperation of health, find summer homes
The soil of the town is in the valleys of a rich alluvial
character, and in the elevated parts a thin sandy loam. Nearly
one-half of the town is capable of cultivation, though perhaps
not more than one-third can be successfully and profitably
worked. Iron ore is found in various parts but not in sufficient
purity and abundance to make its working profitable; black lead
or graphite is also found. This town was settled about the year
1797, at which period Samuel Scribner, Moses Pettee, Thomas
Leland, Simeon Rawson, Benjamin Bowker and other pioneers came
in and began the work of making for themselves and posterity
homes in the wilderness.
Simeon Rawson located previous to the year 1800 about a mile
above Schroon Lake village, on the place now occupied by Seneca
Rawson. He came from Shrewsbury, Vt. He established soon after
his arrival a small tannery, the first, and, for many years, the
only one in the town. This he carried on in connection with his
other labor until about 1818, when he removed to the site of the
village at the lake and located his tannery there. His sons were
Clark, Simeon, Safford and Josiah. Ashley P. Rawson, of Schroon
Lake, is a grandson.
The valley lands in this town were opened to settlement at an
early day, one of the incentives to which was the construction
of what has become known as the old State road, to which we have
often alluded, and which ran from Sandy Hill northward to the
Canada line, passing along the Schroon valley. Another early
highway that benefited the town was that constructed between
1840 and 1845, running from Lake Champlain to Carthage in
Jefferson county, and passing through Schroon.
Other settlers came in almost simultaneously with Mr. Rawson.
Samuel Scribner located about two miles north of the site of
Schroon Lake village, and Moses Pettee in the same vicinity, on
the State road, on the farm now occupied by Edward Lockwood.
Joseph Wyman settled near the falls of the Schroon early in the
century; his brother John also located here and they had a
distillery there in early days. A son of Joseph Wyman now lives
in Crown Point.
Benajmin Bowker, one of the earliest settlers, located on the
State road, first on the site of the present Pickhardt place and
then removed to about three miles north of the site of Schroon
Lake village. He had one son who lived and died near the old
Baptist church; his name was also Benjamin. Two other sons,
Charles and John, came into the town, but subsequently removed
to Shoreham. There were three or four daughters in the family.
Elijah Garfield settled on the east side of the river, about two
miles from the lake; he was one of the first settlers and had
two sons, Selucius and Leman, who lived and died in the town.
The former has two sons living in the town. Jackson Garfield,
who lives on or near the old homestead, is a grandson.-
George Moor was among the earliest settlers and located on the
Schroon flats, near the river. Elijah M. Rounds now occupies
George Whitney settled early about five miles south of the site
of Schroon Lake village, on the lake shore. Two of his sons,
George and Ira, now live in the village.
Cornelius Travers settled on the site of South Schroon. He came
from Duchess county and died on his homestead, leaving
descendants in the town.
Jeremiah Lockwood, who was born March 21st, 1764, settled on the
site of the old Lockwood tavern about 1810, coming from
Lanesboro, Mass. He built his first house in 1811, and the next
one in 1827, where he opened a tavern which was for many years
and down to about the breaking out of the late war, a popular
house. The place is now occupied by Wiliam Fullen. His Sons were
Leander J. Clark, Abel D. and Jeremiah, jr. Linus C. Lockwood,
now living north of Schroon Lake village is a son of Clark.
Elihu Griswold, familiarly known to old residents as "Deacon"
Griswold, settled early in the century at what has been called
Alder Meadow. He was a man of intelligence and married the widow
of Mr. Grosvenor who was drowned in Paradox lake in a bay which
has since borne his name. One of his daughters married Hiram H.
Smith, a prominent man in the community, who lives on the
homestead. John Wiswell was also an early settler in this
Thomas Leland was one of the prominent early settlers and
located where George Whitney now lives; he engaged in farming
and lumbering. He had two sons, one of whom died young; the
other is J. M. Leland, now keeping a drug store in Schroon Lake
Wolcott Tyrrell came into the town soon after the beginning of
the century with his father, Benajah Tyrrell, and located about
two miles south of the site of Schroon Lake village, where
Charles Bowker now lives. He had three sons, who reside in the
town, was a prominent citizen and held the office of first judge
for a number of years.
Among other very early settlers were: Benjamin Barnes, who
located near South Schroon, where his grandson, Benjamin O., now
lives. James Tubbs settled on Paradox lake and his brother Enoch
near by. Jabez Smith located in the southwest part, and Ebenezer
Bailey, a Revolutionary soldier and pensioner, at South Schroon.
William Armistead settled at the foot of the lake and raised a
large family; they all removed to Ohio. Starr Platt came into
the town in 1814, and located where Mrs. Erastus Root now lives,
north of Schroon Lake village. He had four children, a daughter
becoming the wife of Erastus Root and now occupying the
homestead. His father was Jabez Platt who came in from
Lanesboro, Mass. Adjoining the farm of Starr Platt lived Daniel
We cannot trace the record of early settlers farther, except as
they may appear in describing the industries of the town. Those
already named comprised most of the prominent pioneers who came
here when the country was an unbroken wilderness and amid untold
hardships and arduous toils, laid the foundations of their
future prosperous homes and an intelligent community. As the
settlements increased additional roads were laid out mills were
built on the numerous streams wherever there was water power,
schools were established and religious meetings and societies
organized. The first school was taught soon after settlement
began by Clark Rawson, son of Simeon Rawson, about one and a
half miles north of the present Schroon Lake village. This was a
primitive educational institution, but it paved the way for the
numerous neat school-houses that now give excellent privileges
to the young of the town.
A saw-mill was built at an early day at the foot of Paradox lake
by Joseph Richards, and a grist-mill not long afterward by David
Stowell. The saw-mill subsequently passed into the hands of
Charles Harris and Joseph Weed, the latter of Ticonderoga, and
one of the heaviest lumbermen in the county. Both of these mills
are long since gone down. Most of the town was originally
covered with a heavy forest growth, and in common with the early
settlers of all this region, the inhabitants turned their
attention largely to lumbering as the readiest means of both
clearing up their lands and securing a prompt return for their
labor before agriculture could be extensively followed.
The lumber interest in
this town began to be considerably developed as early as 1820
and soon assumed paramount importance. Logs were cut in great
numbers and driven down the river through the lake and thus to
Glens Falls and Sandy Hill, for manufacture into lumber. Many
mills, as we have said, were also built on the various streams
of the town and large quantities of lumber were sawed and
transported to market; but these mills soon declined in
importance through the wholesale driving of logs, which robbed
them of business, and nearly all of them have been long
abandoned. There were mills at Alder Meadow, Crane pond, Paradox
lake, Long pond. A steam mill is now running at South Schroon
and at Schroon Lake. The lumber interest reached its height from
about 1830 to 1845. At the present time by far the larger share
of the valuable timber of the town is cut off although many logs
have been run down the river in recent years, from the forests
farther to the north and west.
Attempts have been made to work the iron ores that are 'found to
some extent in the town and more abundantly in the adjoining
town of Crown Point. A forge was built before 1830 at the
Schroon falls, by Horace Hall. This was worked on ore brought
from the Paradox district and the product transported to market
via Crown Point. Of the Scholield ore bed, which was opened by
Mr. Hall in 1828, we find the following description in Watson's
History of Essex County: "Bar iron was at that time made in the
Schroon forge from the ore of this mine, which was worked by
various proprietors until 1845, when operations were suspended.
An average of two hundred tons of iron was made during the above
period, which established and maintained the highest character
in the market. . . . The ore yields fifty per cent. of iron of
the first class. The vein is only from three to four feet in
thickness and has been worked about two hundred and fifty feet
in length and from twenty to sixty feet in depth." This bed was
worked as late as 1870 by John Roth and the ore used in his
forges in Schroon with success.
The Skiff bed lies about two miles from Paradox lake and was
opened by A. P. Skiff in the year 1857. It subsequently passed
to the possession of Mr. Roth. The general character of the ore
is similar to that of the Schofield bed, but the vein is small
and was never worked with very much profit, although many
thousand dollars were expended in developing it in the belief
that the vein would widen out.
What was known as the "head of Paradox forge" was built in 1864
and owned by John Roth. It first contained two fires but a third
was introduced. The charcoal for its operation was burned in
pits at the forge and the ore was taken from the vein last above
described, producing an excellent quality of iron, but at such
cost including transportation, that it soon became unprofitable
as prices declined.
The manufacture of leather in large tanneries has received
considerable attention in the town and for several years was a
predominant industry in Schroon, Minerva, and North Hudson. The
vast hemlock forests furnished unlimited quantities of bark and
compensated thus for the transportation of hides and leather to
and from the tanneries. Schroon Lake tannery was erected in 1852
by Lorenzo Hall and subsequently became the property of Milton
Sawyer, of Glens Falls. It was situated on a small brook about a
mile west of Schroon lake. Its capacity was sixteen thousand
sides a year. It is not now in operation. The Schroon tannery
was erected in 1861 at the mouth of the brook just mentioned, by
William C. Potter and Daniel Wyman. It passed through various
hands before it was closed. Wickham tannery was built at the
mouth of the same stream and was operated by Benjamin Wickham
chiefly for the manufacture of upper leather. Hoffman tannery,
six miles west of Mr. Sawyer's Schroon Lake tannery, was built
in 1856 by Bracket & Boyle and passed into possession of Mr.
Sawyer. 'There have been other tanning operations in the town
and vicinity, which, perhaps, need not be detailed; the industry
is declining, with the others that have depended upon the
forests for their prosperity, while the inhabitants are turning
more of their attention and energy from year to year to
No event of great importance has disturbed the peace and general
prosperity of the town, other than the great civil strife of
1860, the deplorable consequences of which reached every hamlet
in the country. This town was called upon to contribute her men
and means to the support of the government in the day of strife
and nobly responded, as the reader has already learned from the
chapter devoted to the military record of the county.
The population of the town is now slowly increasing and with the
near approach of railroads, the large annual influx of summer
tourists and the sure beneficence of extended and more
successful farming, its future growth is assured.
The "warning" for the first town meeting for the division of the
town, i. e., setting it off from Crown Point, designated the
house of Israel Johnson as the place for the gathering to be
held and the first Tuesday in April, 1804, as the date. The
object of the meeting as expressed in the records was "to see if
the inhabitants wishes to be divided into two towns, and do any
other business thought necessary." The call was signed by
Benjamin Pond, justice, Elijah Garfield, Daniel Cushman,
Augustus Cleaveland, Samuel Scribner, and Simeon Rawson. Among
the names which appear prominent in the public records of those
days (some of them, doubtless, belonging in what is now Minerva
as that was then a part of Schroon) are Israel Johnson, Wolcott
Tyrrell, Mijah Smith, Joseph Dunn, Benjamin Pond, William Hill,
Deodorus Holcomb, and others. Elijah Garfield was the first town
clerk and the neatness and precision of the town record
testifies to his intelligence and expertness.
At the first town meeting it was voted, among other matters,
that "any sheep ram found on the commons from the tenth of
November to the first of December, shall be forfeit to the taker
up of old ram."
At the meeting in 1809 it was voted "that the poor money be
hired out for the benefit of purchasing a Merino ram." This
indicates an early interest in blooded stock.
It was also voted early in the history of the town "that it
shall be counted an honorable act for any Man to complain of any
Man that makes havoc of the Deer contrary to law in this town."
Eight dollars were voted as a bounty for killing wolves. The
first two town meetings were held at the house of Israel Johnson
and the next one at Thomas Leland's. In the old records the town
is set down as "Scaroon." Among other names that seem to bear
some prominence in the early records are those of Edmund Jincks,
James Swinnerton, Nathan West, Samuel Norton, Jed. Halliday,
Abial and Aibro Tripp, John Baker, and others. In 1813 the town
comprised seven school districts. By the year 1820, after the
separation of Minerva from it, we find the following names among
those holding office and otherwise appearing prominent in the
records: Elisha Baker, David Stowell, Wolcott Tyrrell, Benjamin
Barnes, James Tubbs, Jabez Smith, Wm. B. Everest, Ebenezer
Bailey, Samuel Whittemore, Wm. Armistead, etc. (We have followed
the spelling of these names as it appears in the records.)
The first officers elected in the town were as follows:
Supervisor, Benjamin Pond; town clerk, Elijah Garfield;
assessors, Albro Tripp, John Toms and Nathan B. Johnson;
collectors, Diadorus Holcomb and George Moore; commissioners of
highways, Elijah Barnes, Thomas Leland and Joseph Dunn; overseer
of the poor, George Moore and James Houghton; constables,
Diadorus Holcomb, John Potter, Augustus Cleveland and Elisha
Baker; fence viewers, Randall Farr, Israel Johnson, James
Swinnerton and Cornelius Traver.
Following is a list of the supervisors of the town from the date
of its formation to the present time, with their terms of
service: 1804, Benjamin Pond; 1805 to 1808 inclusive, Joseph
Dunn; 1809, Salmasius Bordwell; 1810, Mijah Smith; 1811, Israel
Johnson; 1812 to 1818 inclusive, Wolcott Tyrrell; 1819, John
Baker, jr.; 1820, Wolcott Tyrrell; 1821 and 1822, Elihu Phelps;
1823 to 1825 inclusive, John Baker, jr.; 1826, Clark Rawson;
1827 to 1832 inclusive, Wolcott Tyrrell; 1833 to 1836 inclusive,
Hiram Wilson; 1837, Clark Rawson; 1838 to 1840 inclusive, Abijah
Smith, jr.; 1841, Clark Rawson; 1842, Abijah Smith, Jr.; 1843 to
1845 inclusive, Clark Rawson; 1846 and 1847, Daniel Pratt; 1848
and 1849, Erastus B. Potter; 1850, Andrew L. Ireland; 1851 and
1852, William J. Hayward; 1853, Barton Baker; 1854 and 1855,
Daniel Pratt; 1856 and 1857, Ryla Tyrrell; 1858 to 1860
inclusive, Joel F. Potter; 1861 William J. Hayward; 1862, Cyrus
L. Blanchard; 1863, J. M. Leland; 1864, Joel F. Potter; 1865 and
1866, James M. Leland; 1867 to 1869 inclusive, Benjamin F.
Wickham; 1870 and 1871, Benijah Tyrrell; 1872 to 1874 inclusive,
Freeman N. Tyrrell; 1875, Paris S. Russell; 1876 and 1877,
William J. Leland; 1878, W. G. Leland; 1879, Myron C. Pitkins;
1880, William G. Leland; 1881 and 1882, Benjamin F. Wickham;
1883 and 1884, Darwin L. Weeks; 1885, Myron C. Pitkins.
Following are the present officers of the town: Supervisor, M.
C. Pitkins town clerk, William H. Barnett; assessor, John F.
Young; overseer of the poor, Benjamin 0. Barnes; commissioner of
highways, C. M. Warren; collector, J. D. Burwell; justices, W.
E. Rooney, A. S. Nichols, James 0. Whitney, S. Reynolds;
constables, Darius C. Burzee, Elijah Smith, Darius Hill, L. J.
Garfield, C. C. Swain; inspectors of election, Charles H. Knox,
L. D. Young; commissioner of excise, H. H. Smith; game
constable, Alexander Bostwick; auditor, Orrin Harris.
Churches. - It is quite common to find that the Methodist
Episcopal Society secures organization and a religious foothold
in new communities in advance of other sects. Such was the case
in this town. The Cambridge Circuit, as it is called, was formed
early in the century and included parts of the present town of
Schroon. Daniel Bromlev was the first preacher. He was succeeded
by a Mr. Bull, Lewis Pease and George W. Densmore. Meetings were
then held either in private houses or the little school-houses.
In 1809 the circuit was divided, and Schroon included in the
Warren Circuit. Revs. Lansford Whiting, Mr. Pierce, Tobias
Spicer, Elijah Hibbard, Daniel J. Wright and Sherman Miner were
the preachers here until 1818 Daniel Brayton then came and with
others filled the time to 1825. Then followed Joseph Eames and
Jacob Beeman, 1826-27; Nathan Rice, 1827-28; Merritt Bates,
1828-29; Seymour Colman, 1829-30, and re-appointed; Joseph
McCreery, 183 1-32, and re-appointed; Reuben Wescott, 1833-34;
William Richards, 1835-36, and re-appointed; in 1837 the circuit
was permanently divided and the Schroon Circuit formed. From
1837 to 1841 Benjamin Pomeroy was the pastor; Ezra Sayre,
1841-42; Jedediah Burnham, 1843-44, and re-appointed; Joseph
Conor, 1845-46; Chester Lyon, 1847-48; Samuel Hughes, 1849-50;
Gideon Townsend, 1851-52; D. E. Noble, 1853; Daniel Rose,
1854-55 Caleb Stevens, 1856-57; in the last mentioned year
Schroon was made to constitute the circuit, and J. B. Searle was
the pastor for 1858-59; J. F. Crowl, 1860-61 ; D. W. Gould,
1861-62; A. Robbins, 1863-64; W. W. Foster, 1865-66; G. S. Gold,
1867-68; Alfred Eaton, 1869-70.
The first class was formed at South Schroon in 1811, and others
soon followed at Paradox and "Charley Hill." In December, 1834,
the society at Schroon Lake was incorporated as "The First M. E.
Church of Schroon," at the Baker street school-house. The first
trustees were B. S. Warren, Thomas Leland and B. R. Seaman. The
first church was at once erected near the present burying-ground
and occupied until 1853, when it was taken down and removed to
the village at a cost of $1,435. In 1867 it was refitted and
furnished at a cost of $550. In 1841 an acre of land adjoining
the church was purchased at a cost of $6o for a parsonage, which
was built during the same year. From the year 1870 to the
present time the pastors have been as follows: 1871, J. S. Mott,
to 1873; 1874, E. Potter; 1875-76, R. Patterson; 1877, William
H. Groat; 1878, Mr. Spencer; 1879, M. Adsit; 1880-81, C. J.
Mott; 1882-83, A. V. Marshall; 1884, G. H. Van Dusen; 1885, H.
M. Munsee. The present church officers are - Trustees, J. M.
Leland, H. J. Culver, D. Hill, H. H. Smith. Stewards - James M.
Leland, recording steward; Hoel Richards. Class leaders - J. M.
Leland, Elijah Rounds, E. Warren. The church includes classes at
Paradox, South Schroon, Charley Hill and Hoffmann's. At these
places services are held in school-houses.
Episcopal Church. - The Episcopal Church of Schroon Lake
was organized November 12th, 1878, the first members being
Bayard Clarke, Jacob Bohrmanri, Freeman Tyrrell, John Taylor,
Joseph Bogle, Joel F. Potter, Benjamin Tripp, Jarvis Abey, Mr.
Benjamin, John Lapierre, Nathaniel Jenks, Bayard Clarke, jr. The
first pastor was Aubrey F. Todrig. He was succeeded by Dr.
Williams, W. A. H. Maybin, and the present pastor, Rev. Henry A.
Freeman. The church edifice was erected in 1878 at a cost of
$6oo. It was afterwards enlarged, a tower, chancel and vestry
added and a bell put in; also refurnished. The present value of
the church property is about $1,500. A Sunday-school was
organized in 1878, of which B. Squires and John Taylor have been
superintendents. The first wardens were Bayard Clarke and
Effingham H. Nichols. The latter holds the office at the present
time. The vestrymen are John Taylor, Benjamin Tripp, Jacob
Bohrmann, Bayard Clarke, jr., Augustus Bogle and Orren Taylor.
Congregational Church. -The first Congregational Church
of Schroon Lake, was organized in 1829, with the following
persons as members: Abijah Smith, Jedediah Rice, Solomon
Stebbins, Caroline Rawson, Lois Dresser, Lois Rice, Stebbins,
Margaret Crocker, Mary Boyd, Abigail Wyman, Minerva Smith,
Alvira Stebbins, Lavina Glynn. The first pastor was Rev. Reuben
Willoughby. The church edifice was erected about the year 1846,
at a cost with land of about $3,000. A Sunday-school was
organized, of which Marcus Knapp is the present superintendent.
The first deacon was J. Rice, and he has been succeeded by the
following: Charles Churchill, 1830; Abijah Smith, 1833; Asa
Foster, 1833; ; Marcus Knapp, 1871; Joseph E. Sawyer, 1876;
George M. Sawyer, 1877. The following have served the church as
pastors: Rev. Reuben Willoughby, one-third of the time in 1830;
Rev. Thomas Haswell, ten months in 1840; Rev. Frederic Graves,
one-half the time for one year, 1841; Rev. Sorel Wood, in 1845;
Rev. -Taylor, two-thirds of the time for a few months in 1849;
Rev. David Connell, 1857-1862; Rev. M. Davis, a few months about
1865; Rev. D. H. Gould, 1871-1873; Rev. D. M. Seward, D.D.,
summers of 1873 and 1874; Rev. D. T. Williams, a short time in
1876; Rev. N. H. Bell, six months, 1877; Rev. George L.
Dickinson, commenced labor with the church, March, 1878;
1878-1885, supplied only in summer by various ministers. The
church is supplied during the summer of 1885 by the Rev. J. E.
McConnell. The present trustees are Dwight CPasco and Lansford
Whitney. Deacons, Marcus Knapp, George W. Sawyer and John H.
Catholic. - The Catholic Church of this place was built in 1883,
and a society of considerable strength is maintained. Father
Blanchard was the first pastor in charge, and the church is now
served by Father Le Grand, of Minerva.
Baptist. - The old Baptist Church, about two miles north of the
village, was built in the year 1836 by the then existing
society; this was the first church society organized in the
town, its date being 1830. Charles Harris, one of the prominent
lumbermen of that period, was largely instrumental in the
erection of this church. The society was dissolved many years
ago, and the church is only used for occasional funerals.
We have already alluded to
the settlement of Simeon Rawson about a mile north of the site
of Schroon Lake village, where he established a tannery, kept a
tavern, etc., in early days. Here also was established the first
post-office early in the century, and Mr. Rawson was the first
postmaster. When he removed to the lake in 1818, the office went
with him and he was succeeded by Safford Rawson in the position
of postmaster; the latter was in the office in 1830 and it
continued in the family until 1840. The next official was Gay W.
Lee, who kept it in part of his store. Craig Beebe succeeded him
and he was followed for a short period by Abram Van Benthuysen.
In the spring of 1853 Ashley P. Rawson took the office for eight
years (1861), when he was succeeded by Carlos Bailey, and he by
William C. Potter. Since then Theodore Kinyon, John Taylor, Joel
F. Potter and the present incumbent, John D. Burwell, have
conducted the office.
Abijah Smith, who has been mentioned as an early settler a
little north of the present village, sold goods in a part of his
house and also kept an inn. This was about the first mercantile
business in the town. Horace Hall, who has been spoken of as the
builder of a forge, also kept a store there while he continued
to operate the forge; this property was afterwards transferred
to Charles Harris. These stores were the principal ones in town
for a number of years. Later Ansel Chipman established a little
trade at the foot of Paradox lake and kept it a number of years.
He sold to William Stowell and the business was abandoned by
him. The building was transformed into Potter's Hotel now kept
at that place.
The first store established at Schroon Lake village was run by
Gay Washington Lee, who came here from Bridport, Vt. His place
of business was in the old Wickham House, which was originally
built by a man named Crocker, whose daughter was Lee's wife. Lee
sold out his goods to Charles Harris who removed the stock to
Schroon Falls. The next merchant was James Fowler, who traded in
what is now Taylor's shoe shop. J. M. Leland kept a general
store in the Wickham House more than forty years ago and after
one year removed into the building where Taylor's shoe shop is.
He then built on the lot adjoining Mr. Barnett's present store
and remained there many years. Josiah Rawson kept an early store
on the site of the Ondawa House. A store was established on the
union plan where J. H. Pitkin & Brother are now located many
years ago, in which enterprise Hannibal Holden was conspicuous.
William C. Potter was secured to conduct the store. After this
enterprise had its day, the store was occupied in turn by
Whitney & Bogle, Whitney & Mead, Philo Pitkin, Pitkin & Clute
(M. C. Pitkin and W. Clute), M. C. Pitkin & Co., and the present
enterprising and successful firm, J. H. Pitkin & Brother. Pitkin
& Taylor began business in a general store in March, 1864 (Lewis
Pitkin and Robert Taylor). They succeeded Philo Pitkin and he
Clute & Smith, who built the store. William H. Barnett keeps a
hardware store, the only one in the place. He erected his own
building and began trade in 1881. In the jeweler's trade D. C.
Bailey began in 1855 on the site of the burned store. He
occupied his present location in 1883. G. W. Taylor carries on
harness-making, having begun in 1883. The grist-mill here is
operated by H. B. Drake and the steam saw-mill by W. S. Fowler.
A furniture store is kept by Myron C. Pitkin, and James M.
Leland dispenses the drugs that are needed by the inhabitants.
J. Bohrmann has a furniture manufactory and store a little out
of the village.
Schroon Lake boasts several first-class hotels, the many guests
of which make the summer season one of activity and profit.
Josiah Rawson built the old Schroon Lake House many years ago on
the site of the Ondawa House; it was the first tavern of any
consequence in the place. Hiram Blanchard afterwards bought the
property and he sold to Paris Russell, a man who did much during
his comparatively short life, to advance the interests of the
town. Mr. Russell had a partner in John Conley, the latter
conducting the house a short time, when they erected the present
commodious house. It was sold to John D. Burwell, who has now
kept it about fifteen years. The Leland House, one of the
largest and most attractive houses in this section, was built in
1 872 by William G. Leland, son of James M. Leland. It
accommodates about two hundred and twenty-five guests and was
successfully conducted by the builder until 1884. It is now kept
by Lorenzo Locke to the satisfaction of its large patronage. The
Lake House was built in 1874 by Elisha Wickham, and was first
called the Wickham House. Harry T. Abey bought the property in
1876 and has kept it since, making it a popular resort. It
accommodates about one hundred guests and is pleasantly
situated. The Windsor House is the outgrowth of a building that
was formerly kept for the accommodation of guests by C. F.
Taylor. He enlarged the house, and kept it for a number of
years. William McKenzie and L. Y. Jenness kept it for about two
years each and the present proprietor, E. E. Hunter, took charge
of it in 1884. Guests for these houses are brought up the lake,
if coming from the south, in the steamer Effingham, which was
built for Mr. Russell about six years ago.
Other business interests in this vicinity are the blacksmith and
carriage shop of L. C. Lockwood & Son, situated at the old
Lockwood place before described, where the pioneer, Jeremiah
Lockwood, also had one of the first wagon-shops in the town, L.
C. Lockwood made the first steel spring wagon in the town, which
was considered quite a curiosity. He also ran a clothing-mill at
the site of the Platt homestead many years ago. H. C. Holden,
son of Hannibal Holden, has a feed store north of the village,
where he had a wagon-shop for a number of years. Elijah Holden
Physicians. - In early years people were sick and needed
the beneficent care of the physician the same as in modern days;
and the country doctor of pioneer times found a different task
before him from that which employs his more fortunate
successors. His ride was often over two or three large towns
where roads were bad, even if there were any at all; his
patients were many of them poor and his arduous labor often
unrewarded. Dr. Hale practiced in this town when the country was
new and lived near the old Baptist Church. He was drowned in
Paradox lake. Dr. Harvey Page came here next and practiced for
many years. Dr. Tubbs practiced here for a time and went to.
Chestertown. Dr. Fritchard settled below the village, and Dr.
Hiram Potter, who came from Clarendon, Vt., as a school teacher,
though an educated physician, practiced for many years and is
remembered as one of nature's noblemen. The present physicians
of the place are Dr. E. S. Bullis, who studied in the University
of Vermont and graduated from the College of Physicians and
Surgeons, Iowa. He came to Schroon in 1885. Dr. D. Palmer
studied at Dartmouth and graduated from the university at
Burlington, Vt. He came to Schroon in 1869, but was away from
1874 to 1881.
The present school building of this village was erected in 1866.
It consists of three apartments, two school-rooms and a large
hail above for school uses. There are two departments in the
Masonic. - The Schroon Lake Lodge of Free and Accepted
Masons was instituted September 6th, 1815. A brief sketch of the
lodge will be found in chapter twenty-sixth.
South Schroon. - This is a post-office and hamlet on the
shore of the lake about four miles south of Schroon Lake
village. James L. Huntley is postmaster and keeps a store in
connection. He succeeded Jackson Taylor. There is no other
There are two other post-offices in the town. Paradox, situated
at the head of Paradox lake, was established about five years
ago; Orrin Harris is postmaster. Loch Muller is in the west part
of the town, and was established but a few years ago. Laben
Burbank is postmaster.